BE HERE AT 5pm - THE BAPTISM OF THE HOLY SPIRIT




HE'LL BE HERE AT 5pm – THE HOLY SPIRIT SAID

My wife and I were running a small church plant in Fraseburgh. Downstairs we ran a Christian bookshop and at the back was an old fish-processing yard that we had cleaned and decorated and made as our small meeting hall. Upstairs was our miniscule one and a half bedroomed apartments.

When I was not out on the street evangelising or on visitation I’d cover for my wife in the shop. It proved a good opportunity to meet with believers and share the gospel with any unsaved that ventured in.

One particular day a young mother came by along with her brother who was about to begin his final year exams. I noticed that he was a quiet, shy and spoke little unless spoken too. However, he did appear interested to learn about the things of God.  We all got chatting and briefly sharing our testimonies and it revealed that they were clearly sincere and hungry believers.

A couple of weeks later when they visited again the conversation turned to the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and the power that Christ gave both in prayer, daily Christian life and witnessing. They said that they attended a Pentecostal church but had not yet received that experience. I asked if they’d like to, which they said they would but their time was up and that we should discuss the matter again on their next visit. 

At that time a YWAM team were visiting the area and we enjoyed some great outreach together during the day and then they ministered at local churches in the evening. However an interesting event happened whilst I was seeking the Lord one Monday morning. I had actually finished my prayer time when the Holy Spirit spoke to me very clearly saying “Last night the YWAM team prayed for Robert (not real name) and others to receive the Baptism in the Spirit, he didn’t receive, he is discouraged and   he will be here at 5pm. Pray for him and he will receive”.  Later that day at about ten minutes to 5pm I walked into the shop and told my wife she was free to go, I would lock up as I was expecting someone at five o’clock. Next thing, my street preaching partner unexpectedly walked through the door. I told him it was great timing as the Lord had told me that a young man called Robert was shortly coming here to be prayed for the baptism in the Spirit and that he doesn’t know that I know already he’s coming. That raised his eyebrows, but actually, that’s the walk in the Spirit that both my friend and I enjoyed therefore it was exciting but not that surprising.

A few minutes later and 5pm on the dot, a very cast down Robert walked through the door. ‘Ah good to see you Robert, I’ve been expecting you – You were prayed with for the Baptism of the Holy Spirit last night by the YWAM team, others received with tongues but you did not and you think there is something wrong with you. Is that right”? Somewhat surprised he said, “How is it that you were expecting me and I only made the decision twenty minutes ago to come and tell you what happened? In fact I have a very important exam tomorrow but I couldn’t settle to study thinking about why I didn’t receive and the others did, I feel so discouraged”. He continued, “Was it my sister that told you what happened”? “No”, I replied, it was the very same Holy Ghost that you seek. It was Him that told me all this and that you would be here at five o’clock for us to pray together and you will receive the Holy Spirit Baptism with the evidence of speaking in tongues. Would you like to come through to the hall and we shall pray”? He looked stunned..

Anyway, I shared a few verses to build up his faith, my friend and I laid hands on him we prayed but a short prayer and soon, a weeping, rejoicing Robert was worshipping the Lord out loud in his new language. The river of the Holy Ghost flowed through him as tears of joy flowed down his face. He’d met with the Master. I watched as he staggered up the road singing and rejoicing without a care as to what anyone saw or thought.

Shortly after that this quiet, shy, young man became the youth leader at his large church.

I remember one night a couple of years later, having moved about eighteen miles away to another town. I was stricken with food poisoning or a virus or a plain demonic attack? Whatever it was I felt as sick as a dog and I lay writhing on the floor of our lounge full of pain and wanting to vomit.  It was late but there was a knock on the door. I could hardly get there to open it. It was young Robert, he was heading home from a meeting he had attended but suddenly felt to check in on me before he left town. I hadn’t seen him for over a year. To tell the truth I really did not want to see anyone, I was not in a fellowship frame of mind. Difficult to be holy and cordial when all you want to do is throw up.  

Discerning the obvious that I was unwell, Robert said I’d like to pray for you. My word did he pray. He went after every devil in town, rebuking, binding and casting down and commanding me to be healed. What a surprise, this was so different from the shy lad that I remembered. This bold young man was full of the Holy Ghost and power and by Gods kind grace I was instantly healed. I sat on the floor after the prayer quite dumbstruck, amazed at the power of God and how well I felt. We said a short prayer of thanks, hugged and Robert left.. What a timely visit that was.


It was only a few years later that he left to serve Christ as a missionary in Spain where he met his beautiful wife and became head of his organisation..

No comments:

Post a Comment