ANOTHER HOLY SPIRIT BAPTISM

1.  HE’LL BE HERE AT 5PM – THE HOLY SPIRIT SAID



THE HOLY SPIRIT SENDS ANOTHER TO BAPTISED IN THE SPIRIT


I was a young Christian of just around 9 months. I’d left the merchant navy as I wasn’t convinced I could survive the temptations of that old life style and besides I much more appreciated the fellowship of my new brothers and sisters in Christ. So, I committed my time to helping them with the new bible school they were building a few miles out in the countryside from my hometown.

This particular day I was up to my eyes in mud hand digging a deep trench for the drainage.

I’m mentioning this to show you that the Holy Spirit can whisper to you anytime or place and regardless as to how long you have been saved. Providing that you love Him and are seeking to please Him with you’re your heart. Then you can expect miracles as you walk in obedience before Him. You do not always have to be in your prayer closet for Him to speak to you. You should most definitely go there and often. Learn to love that closet. Our walk with the Master will only ever be equal to our time spent in His lovely presence.

Christ actually said “Pray in your closet in secret and your Father in heaven will reward you openly” Matt 6:6 and that might be in a ditch full of mud and you’ve got a sore back already. So, we shouldn’t be too bothered if we don’t hear Him in the prayer time as we wait upon Him. Sometimes we will hear in that place of prayer, and sometimes we wont, entirely up to the Master. However, He has promised we WILL eventually hear Him and see Him at work as a reward because we took time to seek Him and wait upon Him in secret just as He has commanded us.

Anyway, the lunch break was over and it must have been around 2pm.  I was back digging shoveling mud when I clearly heard the Spirit whisper in my soul “Duncan will be here at 5pm - Pray with him for the baptism in the Holy Spirit”. Oh I just love to hear His gentle voice. What a privilege it is that He would take the time to speak with us. Life is so full of excitement with the Lord, you never know what is going to happen next, but He surely does know what’s next, and its His desire to share that information with us. Scripture say’s “We are workers together WITH Him. His will comes to pass as we yield our will to Him so that He can work THROUGH us. So it’s very important that we have our heart and hands clean and ready and our ears trained to hear HIM when He speaks. My earthly hands were covered with dirt but my inner hands were as clean as I could keep them by daily calling on the Lord for help to stay out of trouble.

The secret of the Lord is with them that fear him;
and he will shew them his covenant Psalm 25:14

Knowing that I had a 5pm (exact) appointment I tried to get as much of that trench dug as I could before Duncan got there because then I knew it was time to set about kingdom matters.

Sure enough, after a while, I heard Duncan’s voice over my shoulder “Hello George how are you today”? And there he was looking down at me in my ditch. “Ah, Duncan”, I was told to expect you at five”. He looked surprised, looked at his watch, then back at me. “Yes, exactly 5pm now. How was you expecting me because I didn’t know myself that I would be here until just fifteen minutes ago”?  

He explained further that they had been plumbing a job a few miles away but without explanation the driver had decided to come back this route on the road to town so he had asked him to drop him off at the end of the lane.

I had no idea I was coming here today he continued”? He looked more than a little confused. His confusion then turned to excitement as I told him that the Holy Spirit already told me that he would visit at this precise time and that we should waste no time and pray for him to receive the gift God had for Him along with the evidence of speaking in other tongues.  I called out to another young lad that was working with us to join us and together we walked to the little caravan I was living in.

Once in, from my pocket New Testament I shared numerous verses with my friend regarding the gift of the Holy Spirit and the reason for tongues. I asked if he believed what the bible said and if he’d like to experience the power of the Baptism of the Holy Ghost and fire and boldness to be a witness. He nodded enthusiastically asking, “what happens now”. I said we pray now. I asked him as I did with everyone that I prayed with for the Baptism in the Holy Spirit, “did you notice that during our short bible study there, that of all five incidents listed in the New Testament whereby someone received the baptism of the Holy Ghost that they all spoke in tongues. Some also prophesied”? He looked at me with great earnestness and anticipation as I shared. It was hard to believe that in our earlier youth he and I had once been archenemies.

I explained how there was no set procedure for people to receive the Baptism other than Acts 8v19 which tells us that after the laying on of hands and prayer the people received the power of the holy Ghost. And since the Lord told me to pray for him when he arrived, that’s what I would do.

“Duncan” I said, “I’ll pray for you to be baptised but you pray out loud for it also. Focus on praising Christ and when strange words rise up inside your being just speak them out to the Lord ok”? He nodded his agreement and I laid my hand on his head with the young worker joining me. But, lo and behold, I had no sooner started talking to the Lord when Duncan himself bellowed out “Lord - Please fill me with your Holy Spirit”. Right there and then, as if invisible lightening struck him, he immediately began streaming forth a torrent of tongues at great volume. With hands raised and tears rolling down his cheeks he spoke to His heavenly Father in the tongues of men and of angels. We two certainly had no idea what he was saying. May people have said to me over the years “you shouldn’t speak in tongues unless there is one present to interpret”. In a public service that is correct. However, that verse should not be used as a cop out for not speaking in tongues at many other times, but read in context as to what Paul is saying. Not all tongues are for interpretation. Most tongues are direct intercession between the person praying and his Father in Heaven.


For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries - 1 Corinthians 14:2

No comments:

Post a Comment